The Urban Seafarers of Newcastle
Immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of the worlds most inland seabird colony at one of our popular Kittiwakes & Doughnuts events.
After spending half of the year out at sea, the Tyne Kittiwakes return to nest on the buildings and bridges of Newcastle and Gateshead Quayside, their calls a wild backdrop to a lively hub of restaurants, galleries, hotels and pubs.
We’re excited to return to this popular Mini Exped for the 2020 season, in celebration of the North East’s urban seafarers. We’ve once again teamed up with the Tyne Kittiwake Partnership, to provide a fascinating talk, Proven Doughnuts Co. to supply delicious local doughnuts, and the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art as our wonderful event host.
Starting with a circular walk (lasting approximately one hour) from the BALTIC along the quayside, you will discover the fascinating story of the Tyne Kittiwakes, and have the opportunity to observe these beautiful birds up close. Returning to the BALTIC we will enjoy an illustrated talk by local ornithologist Dan Turner from the Tyne Kittiwake Partnership who will provide an intriguing background into the lives of our Tyne Kittiwakes, whilst enjoying delicious locally crafted doughnuts by Proven Doughnut Co. To finish your introduction to our Tyne Kittiwakes you will visit the ultimate viewing platform to see and photograph the Tyne Kittiwakes along the quayside skyline.
So, why doughnuts? We hear you ask. Firstly, it’s doughnuts, so why not! Secondly, Newcastle and Gateshead is a hub of small, passionate, independent businesses – like us! As a social enterprise we support communities as much as possible through our events, so we’re linking with local artisan doughnut extraordinaires Proven Doughnuts Co. who will provide a handmade treat for us at the end of the walk.
The BALTIC provides valuable nesting habitat for the Tyne Kittiwakes, who return to the building’s ledges year after year.
All profits from our 2020 Kittiwakes & Doughnuts events will be donated to The BALTIC’s Care for Our Kittiwakes campaign, which pays for the maintenance of the Kittiwake’s habitat on The BALTIC. This costs the BALTIC on average £50 per Kittiwake, every year! The Kittiwakes are an intriguing and important addition to the gallery’s architecture and heritage, so we’re proud to support the BALTIC in this campaign.
- Immerse yourself in the fascinating story of the Tyne Kittiwakes on this guided walk.
- Discover the atmosphere of a seabird colony in the heart of the city.
- Enjoy an illustrated talk at the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, by local ornithologist Dan Turner, from the Tyne Kittiwake Partnership.
- Sample the North East’s finest handmade doughnuts, from Proven Goods Co with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Enjoy close views of the Tyne Kittiwakes raising their young.
- All profits for this Mini Exped will be donated to the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art’s ‘Care for Our Kittiwakes’ campaign.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the event start time.
- We encourage the use of public transport, however pay-for parking is available at the BALTIC.
- Under 18’s must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- Booking is essential and spaces are limited, so grab yours quick!
- Prices, dates & times below
- Saturday 27th June
- Sunday 4th July
- Saturday 11th July
- Sunday 12th July
- Saturday 18th July
- Sunday 19th July